Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Streetlamps.....

Why do some street lamps turn OFF when you walk/run by them? The whole point of the lamps is to provide lighting to us runners, walkers, passer-byers if you will, so that we can see where we are going, and so we feel just a bit safer. But last night while running on my irvine path that parallels Jeffrey Rd. the street lamps were turning OFF as I ran by them. Now granted it was only just after 8, so not too late, but I kinda got a bit freaked. Maybe you're thinking to yourself, "Well, Becky, you shouldn't run by yourself when it's dark". Yes, this I know, but let me explain last night.
I went to the gym for my training appt. which was at 7:30. My trainer and I had some miscommunication which ended in me talking sternly, and him also talking sternly in a loud volume in front of all his gigantic trainer co-workers. Needless to say I left feel lousy, upset, crying, and decided, well, I'm worked up, I should go run. So I did. I grabbed my ipod with my new ear buds, and went running. Although it was late, I passed many families walking with kids, dogs, bike riding, etc. so I felt fine. I ran down to the end of the path and turned around, noticing all those people must have called it a night, because no one was around. I kept running, pace quickening, and heard faint screaming. Then the screaming grew louder, and it was a bunch of girls screaming bloody murder. Now practically sprinting toward them, I see it is just 5 girls running around thinking its funny to scream for their lives; yes very funny. Then, the streetlamps. I swear the sensor is opposite; sense someone coming, turn off. Don't get it. My heart is racing, blood is pumping, and adrenaline going. I am running faster than I have in a long time, just to get back to the main road. I start passing the families again, and some lights manage to stay on.
Anywho, I get home safe and sound, really nothing ever to worry about. So, all in all tonight was an eventful 3.3 mile run: Got yelled at by my trainer, thought some girls were being chased by a creepy guy, and left in the dark with Irvine's amazing streetlamps. Oh, but I managed to shave 1 min 28 sec. off my mile time. Nerves?....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ah, jogging in the dark - don't become a statistic! My BP is already too high...