Thursday, August 21, 2008

1/2 Marathon of HB

Yep, that's right; I signed up to run a 1/2 Marathon on Feb 1st 2009. This is a HUGE step for me bc I have had bad knees since I was 12 and was dragged to go to some stupid line dancing thing at Salt Brook Elementary. (No, I'm not bitter) Its actually due to the fact that I have hyperextended knees and stand with them almost bent backwards, kinda like a flamingo, but I will blame it on country music. :) 25 dislocations later, a torn meniscus, torn MCL, and 2 surgeries later I am now able to run without knee braces, something I have not done for 10 years, and its wonderful!!!!! I have always enjoyed running, I don't know why, its absolutely painful sometimes. I remember El Rod, my track coach in NJ forcing us to run the school hallways when it was snowing outside. Let's just say old school hallways + hurdles = some major shin splints. Each girl had her own tube of Bengay and I have come very fond of the smell. :) There's something about running tho, that clears my mind, and makes me feel ever so healthy. Once I start getting into a routine, I get these urges to keep going. Last night I got one of those urges to run. Even tho it was 9pm, and even tho I had only had 4.5 hours of sleep the night before (i need to sleep more), and even tho I spent my day at work, then helping Spanish families register for church, then Bible Study, the urge came, and I knew I couldn't fight it. I wound up running 5.5 with my classy headphones that I bought in Ushuaia, Argentina 6 years ago for 22 pesos (less than 8 dollars) bc my awesome pair that Continental airlines gave me officially dies yesterday. They are huge and bright yellow, need I say more? I really need to invest in a better set of headphones.
But, here lies my problem. I can run way more at night than I can in the AM. I am almost worthless in the AM. And it just so happens that all marathons are in the AM. Maybe a week before I can start changing my sleep cycle, so I sleep during the day and then when I run, it will feel like running in the PM. Hmmmm.......

3 comments:

Emily R said...

glad to find your blog! keep running. i hate it. but if you like it, i say it cant be a bad thing. your NP memories are classic... ;)

Liz Thomson said...

Becky! Oversmile pose is FOREVER! :) Good job on running a marathon - although changing your sleep pattern? May need to change it more than a week before... :)

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

I am so happy for you.. a 1/2 marathon will be great... hopefully you have yourself a NICE pair of shoes, and some cute clothes to run in and LOTS of good music. I am in LOVE with the WARRIOR song from Nelly (Team USA is using it for the Olympics) When you come to AZ... I will run with you. so make sure you call if you are ever in town..