Monday, August 18, 2008

Estado 29




Although I have spent the past 5 hours creating insurance invoices and modifying my excel worksheets so that my Q books will be correct, I am still living in the greatness of this past weekend otherwise known as Estado 29. I have been told that I need to get some pics up to support my stories, and once I have more computer capabilities I will for sure, bc I know this must be boring without pictures.
Estado 29, also known as an orphanage in Mexico near Ensenada that I volunteer at. This was my third time going down there. I went with three friends: Kenny, Dunkel, and Victoria, teaming up with Carlos. Normally we do a bunch of construction and play with the kids on our free time, but since this was not a Fuel trip, we were able to just enjoy time with the kids. It was a totally different experience. A lot of the older boys weren't even around due to summer time, and were in Ensenada working. I was a bit sad, bc I wanted to see Tyson, but hopefully I will see him in November.
Other older siblings had moved on, bc they were 18+ to go and live with their families in Mexico. This idea always perplexes me, that these kids do have parents and for whatever reason, they now live at an orphanage. That must be so difficult for them to live with. The weekend was filled with its normal drama of the girls fighting for attention of us all, tho Kenny is their favorite. We played basketball, cards, talked, sang, etc. I brought down 33 bottles of nail polish and for about an hour painted nails with the girls. Slowly the bottles disappeared as girls were taking them in their room. I decided that it was ok if they kept them all. Some of them invited me in their dorm room to watch a movie. (pretty hard, btw, bc all dubbed over in Spanish, but I got the jist of it)
All in all it was a great weekend, taking pictures, roasting marshmallows, and just spending time with God's precious children, hopefully letting them know just a little bit more, that they are worth it.
If you want anymore info about the orphanage, please visit http://friendsoftheorphanages.org/.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome, Becky!

Beth said...

I will miss going in November. I haven't missed a Fuel Estado trip in over 2 years! I'm so glad you're getting more involved there :)

Jason Rasmussen said...

I Photosynthed many of the photos from Estado together. I'm sure you will find yourself and Kenny in there somewhere! Be sure to switch 3D groups (upper right button) to navigate the other sections as not all link up together. The basketball court hoops shoot and lookout from the roof are some of my favorites:
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=a4b6ae1b-a7a9-4556-92a0-1e6c610f2495

Also check out the view from the lookout before we get to Estado. Switch to other 3D groups as well:
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=b35fabd3-04a1-4e35-8be1-b7cc3521927e